Mark your calendars — after almost two years of construction, Unity Park will open May 19, according to the city of Greenville.
The 60-acre park includes:
- Four playgrounds and a water feature
- Three pedestrian bridges crossing the Reedy River
- A nine-acre green space
- An extension of the Swamp Rabbit Trail
Unity Park facts
- Total acreage: 60
- Total estimated cost: $61 million
- Major sponsors: Spinx, Fluor, AT&T
- Why the name? The park used to be a symbol of segregation; now city leaders want a place that brings in everyone.
As the city worked on the park, it also restored a half-mile section of Reedy River and adjacent wetlands.
In addition to the grand opening celebration, the city will host several other events to celebrate the park’s completion, including:
- Park-wide community celebration – May 28
- West Greenville and Southernside Reunion – details announced later
- Juneteenth celebration – details announced later
- Lila Mae Brock plaza dedication – details announced later
For more information, visit greenvillesc.gov/civicalerts.aspx?AID=2681.