Greenlink’s plans to build a new $13.75 million operations and maintenance facility on Arcadia Drive are moving forward.
The city of Greenville and Greenlink have solicited proposals for construction of the project and are evaluating bids from three firms: New Jersey-based Skanska USA Building Inc., Anser Advisory Management LLC in Colorado and CBRE Heery Inc. in Atlanta, Georgia. The firms made their presentations on Jan. 13.
A new facility has been in the works since 2017. Greenlink’s current maintenance building at 154 Augusta St. is outdated and landlocked by development in downtown Greenville, according to Greenlink’s website. A new facility will allow Greenlink to “expand its fleet, improve its maintenance efficiencies and meet the ever-growing demand for service enhancements in Greenville County,” the transit authority said.
In 2018, Greenlink applied for and was awarded an $11 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration, which covered 80% of the project’s construction costs. Per FTA guidelines, the remaining 20% was provided by local funding sources, including the city of Greenville, which appropriated $1.4 million for the project, and Greenville County, which donated the land on Arcadia Drive.
The county transferred the property to Greenlink following a public hearing in May 2020.
Construction of the new maintenance facility is expected to begin in August and last through December 2022. Greenlink is scheduled to begin operations in the new facility in January 2023.