Simpsonville had humble beginnings. Incorporated in August of 1901, the “town” had began many years earlier simply as a crossroads where Old Stage Road interested with a trail later named Georgia Road. 1838 saw its first Simpsonville inhabitants when a farmer named Peter Simpson established a blacksmithing operation and Silas Gilbert opened a general store. Later that same year, the “town” was assigned a post office to be known as Plain.
Over time, and as Simpson’s blacksmithing services grew in popularity, the simple little crossroads became known as Simpsonville. In 1853 the Greenville and Columbia Railroad line was completed, but it was several miles east of Simpsonville and took over the trade and commerce of the area. The little town known as Simpsonville, came to a complete standstill and growth was non-existent.
It would not be until the mid 1880’s, with the completion of the Greenville and Laurens Railroad, that the town began to grow again. Soon a high school was built and a merchant, Sidney Wilson, surveyed land for a town and began selling lots in the area. In 1886, the Plain post office officially became known as Simpsonville post office and that was all the little town needed to begin to flourish. Soon the town became a cotton processing hub with three cotton gins and a cottonseed oil mill by 1900. That same year the population of the little crossroads town rose to 400 and by 1907 the Simpsonville Cotton Mill was in operation and became the town’s largest employer until after World War II.
The schools in Simpsonville garnered a lot of attention in their early stages. The Simpsonville Music College was established in 1911 and in 1915 the high school issued the first state diplomas in Greenville County.
As time went on the area went through stagnant growth periods and it would not but until the early 1960’s that Simpsonville would be recognized as an attractive location for industrial development. During that time, the area was dubbed “the Golden Strip” and the name just stuck.
Between 1970 and 1990 the area flourished seeing a growth percentage of more than 254 percent. An additional growth of 13 percent between 1990-92 made Simpsonville the fastest growing city in the state.
Today, Simpsonville is a growing Mecca – with high ranked schools, easy commute routes, and local attractions, Simpsonville has become a hot area for real estate sales. Family Circle ranked Simpsonville as one of the top ten places in America to raise a family.
Parks in Simpsonville:
Located at 861 SE Main Street, Simpsonville SC
• Amphitheater – a venue for many attractions, concerts and more.
• Baseball/softball fields with batting cages, soft toss tunnels and practice infield
• Two playground areas
• Miniature steam train
• Shelter (up to 100), Gazebo (up to 30) and individual picnic shelters all available for rent
• Miles of paved trails for walking, running and biking
• Ample parking
The Dog Spot:
Located at 100 Park Drive, Simpsonville SC
• The ONLY dog park in the Golden Strip!
• All vaccinated, well-socialized dogs are welcome – woof!
• Separate, designated play areas for large and small dogs
• Drinking fountains for pups
• Waste disposal bags and receptacles
College Street Park:
Located at 321 W College Street, Simpsonville SC
• All new equipment in 2015
• Picnic benches, merry-go-round, swing set, jungle gym
• Basketball Court
• Baseball Field
Located at 198 Park Drive, Simpsonville SC
• Large playground featuring ADA-Inclusive equipment
• Sensory playground area
• Two baseball fields and batting cages
• Tennis courts
• Basketball courts
• Disc (Frisbee) golf course
• Picnic shelters available for rent (small holds up to 20; large holds up to 40).
• Community Building available for rent (200-person capacity).
• Tater Shed outdoor performance space
Located at 298 Alder Drive, Simpsonville
• NEW playground equipment in 2014
• Picnic shelter
• Basketball court
• Field for sports activities, etc.
The CCNB Amphitheater at Heritage Park hosts a multitude of shows, concerts and events. To see what events are coming up click here.