John Moon Cureton, a prosperous farmer in the early 1800’s in rural Greenville County, bought the land on which the Cureton-Huff house sits on Dec. 24, 1819. Having the Cureton-Huff house built and completed around 1820, the home is an excellent example of the rural farmhouses of the time and region.
The house in particular is representative of the vernacular building modes, construction technology and limited stylistic awareness common to an upper-middle income farmer in a rural community. The house also retains noteworthy Federal stylistic elements in its woodwork. The plan of the house, originally a vernacular hall-and-parlor, was altered prior to the death of Cureton into a central hall plan. Both plans were common to the farmhouses of South Carolina in the antebellum era.
Some of the stylistic features throughout the home include the sunburst motifs and the reeding on the mantels in the hall and parlor as well as the chevron ornamentation along the cornices. Both of these stylistic additions were fashionable at the time of construction and are representative of the Neoclassical ornamentation popular during the Federal period.
At the time of listing in the National Register of Historic Places, the interior of the home had only seen minimal changes, with some additions to the rear of the home for modernization.
Several outbuildings are also part of the National Historic Register listing and include a carriage house, blacksmith shop, several barns and animal pens, two corn cribs and a garage. Most of the outbuildings date front he early 20th century.
By the time of his death in 1845, Cureton, had accumulated a considerable estate. The property/estate was valued at $28,441 and the inventory revealed significant information about the farming operations of the Cureton estate. Cureton owned seven horses, five mules, forty-eight hogs, eighteen sheep, two oxen and fifty-six head of cattle. The farm produced corn, cotton, wheat, peas and rye.
After the death of Cureton’s wife, a caretaker lived in the home until 1865 when Cureton’s granddaughter – Jane Sullivan Huff and her husband Pascal Dacus Huff – moved into the home.
At the time of listing in the National Register of Historic Places, the home was still owned by the Cureton family with John Cureton’s great-great-grandson – the fourth generation of the family – living in the home.
Listed in the National Register Jan. 13, 1983.