Located near downtown Greenville, Mills Mill, now known as The Lofts at Mills Mill, has been a fixture in the city limits since it was built by Otis P. Mills, a North Carolina native who served as a captain in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, and who moved to Greenville after the war.
Construction on the mill, built as part of the Mills Manufacturing Co., began in 1896. The mill building was a three-story, 100,000-square-foot brick structure with round arch windows and a five-story tower with corbelled brickwork. On the east façade was a five-story square tower with arched windows and an open arcade. The property also had two single-story brick buildings with arched windows and a brick smokestack. In addition to the mill itself, the Mills company built an adjacent mill village consisting of 120 houses, a YMCA, two churches and a public library.
Once construction completed, the factory opened in 1897. By 1903, the mill had expanded and began specializing in fine cotton sheeting, twills and satins.
After Mills’ death in 1915, the mill was first purchased by Alan Graham and then sold again to Reeves Brothers Inc., which operated the factory until its closure in 1979. As the property sat vacant, it was added to the national register in 1982 and eventually was converted to a living space in the 2000s.
Today a 108-unit luxury loft building called the Lofts at Mills Mill occupies this old mill. While the lofts offer 16-foot ceilings, nine-foot windows, gated parking, an indoor workout room, community pool, rooftop deck and dog park, pieces of the property’s history, such as original mill machinery and equipment, remain.
The Lofts at Mills Mill
- Located at 400 Mills Ave., Greenville.
- Originally a cotton mill.
- Built in 1897.
- 108 luxury lofts.
- Amenities include gated community living, pool, gym, community room and dog park.
- Features some original mill machinery and equipment.
- Units priced between $230,000-500,000.
- Located near downtown.
The Lofts of Greenville
- Located at 201 Smythe St., Greenville.
- In the former Monaghan Mill, active 1900-1946.
- Offers one-, two- and three-bedroom loft-style apartments featuring concrete floors, high ceilings, dishwashers, garbage disposals, refrigerators, walk-in closets and more.
- Amenities include an aerial and dance studio, CrossFit-inspired onsite fitness gym, pond, community garden, swimming pool, lakeside fire pit and onsite dog park.
West Village Lofts at Brandon Mill
- Located at 25 Draper St., Greenville.
- Former Brandon Mill building, built in 1901 and closed in 1977.
- Offers one-, two- and three-bedroom floor plans with 16-18 foot ceilings, 10-foot arched windows, stainless steel appliances, stone countertops and more.
- Amenities include a 24-hour fitness center, theater/media room, firepit, hammocks, two-story game room with pool table and shuffleboard, resort-style pool, pet park and more.