The Greenville Drive has been named the 2020 Greenville County Schools Partner of the Year. This designation is given to organizations, groups or individuals who financially contribute, volunteer, or offer in-kind donations or collaborative support to students, schools or the entire school district.
“Recognizing the Greenville Drive as our Partner of the Year is the result of a multifaceted partnership between the Drive and Greenville County Schools,” said Burke Royster, superintendent of Greenville County Schools. “We are fortunate to have a strong partnership that recognizes our athletes for their academic achievement, that recognizes our employees and helps recruit teachers into the profession and to our district, and that brings recognition and awareness of the various careers in manufacturing and health care to our students.”
The baseball organization was chosen because of its support of GCS students and teachers through events, programs and partnerships such as:
- The annual GCS Appreciation Night, where every GCS employee is given a complimentary ticket and ballpark food voucher
- #Teach864 Night, which is a partnership with the nonprofit Public Education Partners to celebrate teachers and promote the teaching profession
- The Reading All-Stars Program to promote reading and academic success for second through eighth grade students
- The annual Drive for Excellence academic awards for high-performing athletic teams and athletic departments
- A partnership with LaunchGVL to give high school students the opportunity to participate in a paid internship
- Sponsoring programs such as Manufacturing Night and Health Careers Night for students
The Greenville Drive is the second organization to receive this honor. Michelin was named the inaugural GCS Partner of the Year in 2019.