Greenville County Schools has released its 2021-22 student calendar. The new school year will begin Aug. 17, 2021, and end June 3, 2022.
The calendar includes 180 scheduled instructional days and 10 professional development or teacher workdays. In addition, GCS will not use makeup days in the new school year for inclement weather since the district is approved for eLearning. These days have been added to the calendar to create additional long weekends, including around the Easter holiday, Apr. 15-18, 2022.
Holidays or notable days for the 2021-22 school year include:
- Labor Day, Sept. 6, 2021
- Thanksgiving break, Nov. 24-26, 2021
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jan. 17, 2022
- Presidents’ Day, Feb. 21, 2022
- Memorial Day, May 30, 2022
- Teacher workdays with students out of school, Oct. 18-19, 2021, Jan. 14, 2022 and Mar. 18, 2022
- Last day of school before winter break with half-day attendance, Dec. 17, 2021
- First day back after winter break, Jan. 3, 2022
- Spring break, Mar. 21-25, 2022
- Last days of school with half day attendance, June 2-3, 2022
- High school graduations, May 31 and June 1-3, 2022
The school calendar was determined by the superintendent after receiving recommendations from the Calendar Committee, which is comprised of teachers, principals, staff and parents and receives input from parent groups and school faculties. The recommendations are also based on state requirements and factors including testing dates set by the South Carolina Department of Education.