Blue Ridge Middle School custodian Eddie Straub has been selected as a finalist in the national 2021 Custodian of the Year contest sponsored by Cintas Corporation.
The public may vote for him online until April 16. If he gets the most votes, he wins a $10,000 cash prize, $5,000 in products and services for the school and training valued up to $20,000 from cleaning industry trade association ISSA.
“I want to humbly say thank you to everyone that nominated me as custodian of the year,” said Straub in an email to Blue Ridge Middle School staff. “I had no idea! This is an honor to receive such a nomination. This is an amazing family that works and supports each other every day. No one person can do it by themselves, so I want to thank all of my staff for working hard and being there when needed.”
Straub is one of 10 finalists in this nationwide contest. The other finalists are:
- Christopher Bowman of Bellflower Elementary School in Mentor, Ohio
- Bobbi Sue Burbey of Wrightstown High School in Wrightstown, Wisconsin
- Robert Buster of Westview Elementary School in Northglenn, Colorado
- Francesco “Franco” Catalano of F.E. Peacock Middle School in Itasca, Illinois
- Donna Colello of Ocean Avenue Elementary School in Portland, Maine
- Charles Harris of Warren Technical School in Chamblee, Georgia
- Mike Heiry of North Allegheny Intermediate High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Terry Tackett of Benton Elementary School in Benton, Kentucky
- John Wheeler of Bishop Moore Catholic High School in Orlando, Florida
To vote for Straub, visit custodianoftheyear.com.