Alyssa Wilson, a South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities student, won first place in the fiction category in Bennington College’s 2021 Young Writers Awards.
The contest allows high school students to compete for $125-$500 in cash prizes in the fiction, poetry and nonfiction categories.
The 2020-2021 YWA winners are:
- First Place – Alyssa Wilson of South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities, Greenville for “Somewhere Nearby Connecticut, There’s a Clan of Vampires and a Woman He May Never Know.”
- Second Place – Wes Davis of Henry Clay High School, Lexington, Kentucky for “Dinner of Three.”
- Third Place – Katarina Ivkovic of Hunter College High School, New York City for “Birthday Party.”
- First Place – Aanika Eragam of Milton High School, Alpharetta, Georgia for “When You Wish Upon a Star / [letter to durga] / Sightseeing.”
- Second Place – Olivia Yang of Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts for “a sudden nostalgia that i am meant to be somewhere else / The Bedroom / Etymology of Loss.”
- Third Place – Madelyn Dietz of Interlochen Arts Academy, Interlochen, Michigan for “Girl Sonnet / Honey Ghazal / Shelter, Water, A Bite to Eat.”
- First Place – Stefania Bielkina of The Dwight School, New York City for “Dissecting Matryoshka.”
- Second Place – Indigo Mudbhary of Lick Wilmerding High School, San Francisco for “Skin Test.”
- Third Place – Rebecca Orten of Middlebury Union High School, Middlebury, Vermont for “Gifted.”
YWA finalists and winners are also eligible for undergraduate scholarships at Bennington and those who are admitted and enroll will receive a $10,000 scholarship every year for four years. YWA winners who are admitted and enroll at Bennington will receive a $15,000 scholarship every year for four years.
Each year, over 3,000 students submit poetry, fiction, and nonfiction to the YWA competition.
The 2021-2022 Young Writers Awards will officially open on Sept. 3 and Bennington College will also be launching a Young Activist Award in the fall of 2021.
For more information, visit bennington.edu.