Here’s a recap from the Simpsonville City Council’s Committee of the Whole meeting Jan. 26:
Approved: Master site plan for apartments near the IMAX theater
The Simpsonville Planning Commission approved a master site plan for a 240-unit apartment complex near the IMAX theater on South Street in Simpsonville.
Approved: $155,000 in accommodations tax grants
City Council approved accommodation tax grants totaling approximately $155,000 to the following organizations, projects and events:
- SC Koi & Goldfish Show, $10,000
- Celebrate Simpsonville, $35,000
- Hendricks Pavilion Renovation, $65,000
- Food Truck Rodeo with Live Music, $7,000
- Halloween at Heritage Park, $4,500
- Sipping in Simpsonville Oktoberfest Beer Tasting, $7,000
- Sipping in Simpsonville Spring Wine Tasting, $7,000
- Simpsonville Area Chamber of Commerce Promotional Brochure-Annual Update, $2,000
- Simpsonville Arts Foundation Concert Series, $8,000
- Simpsonville Arts Foundation Oktoberfest, $5,000
- Simpsonville Garden Club fence garden in Heritage Park and planting on Main Street, $1,500
- South Greenville Fair, $2,500
These grants are funded by accommodations tax collected from hotels, bed and breakfasts and other lodging facilities for tourism-related spending within city limits.
The City Council will take a final vote on these grants at the Feb. 9 business meeting.
Approved: Virtual City Council Meeting Extension
City Council approved an ordinance adopted in 2020 to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 by permitting Council to meet by electronic means and disallow the public from attending any in-person meetings. The ordinance also authorizes the city administrator to cancel public events, close public facilities and decide which employees can work remotely.
This was the seventh emergency ordinance and will remain active for the 60 days following approval.