The Greenville Journal won 22 awards, including six first place honors, in the 2020 South Carolina Press Association News Contest.
Winners were announced March 1. Awards will be presented at the SCPA’s annual meeting on Oct. 23.
Journalist Evan Peter Smith won first place in lifestyle feature writing for his story “Love in the time of coronavirus” about how couples adapted their dream weddings in the face of the pandemic. He also won first place in beat reporting for his coverage on affordable housing.
“I am so proud of our editorial team and their achievements,” said Sherry Jackson, executive editor of the Greenville Journal and Upstate Business Journal. “The talent and dedication to community journalism are second to none and these awards — 22! — are a prime example of the team’s hard work and talent.”
Award winners for second place:
- Evan Peter Smith, four awards for enterprise reporting, news feature writing, food and drink beat reporting and profile feature writing or story
- Laura Allshouse, two awards for single feature page design and inside page design
Award winners for third place:
- Alex Cooper, two awards for enterprise reporting and short story
- Anna Lee, two awards for lifestyle feature writing and profile feature writing or story
- Evan Peter Smith, for news feature writing
- Laura Allshouse, for mixed media illustration
- Vincent Harris, a freelance contributor, for arts and entertainment writing