Greenville County Animal Care was selected along with 11 other organizations nationwide to take part in the Human Animal Support Services pilot program, which works to reduce the number of animals entering the shelter system through programs and resources to help support pets and pet owners.
Funded by Maddie’s Fund, South Fork Foundation, Pedigree Foundation, Petfinder, Brandywine SPCA and Michelson Found Animals Foundation, the program was started early on in the COVID-19 pandemic when shelters were moving more pets into foster care. Its resources include veterinary telehealth and text support services, comprehensive stray and lost pet return services, supported self-rehoming for people who cannot keep their pets, and community-based animal protection services.
“During the pandemic, we broadened the safety net for animals dramatically by asking the community for support, and they stepped up in a big way,” said Amy Zeifang, Maddie’s Fund executive leader team member. “Animals are being reunited with families by community members in numbers not seen before. By keeping animals in the community and not the shelters, we’ve all realized how much better for everyone it is to focus our efforts on keeping pets and families together.”
The HASS pilot organizations include:
- Greenville County Animal Care in Greenville
- Humane Rescue Alliance in Washington, D.C.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control in Charlotte, North Carolina
- LifeLine Animal Project in Atlanta, Georgia
- Cabot Animal Resource Center in Cabot, Arkansas
- Kansas City Pet Project in Kansas City, Missouri
- El Paso Animal Services in El Paso, Texas
- Pima County Animal Care in Tucson, Arizona
- Los Angeles Animal Services in Los Angeles, California
- Oakland Animal Services in Oakland, California
- Fresno Humane Animal Services in Fresno, California
- San Diego Humane Society in San Diego, California
In addition, the program plans to add 20 animal shelters in phase two of the project in the coming months. For more information, visit humananimalsupportservices.org.