The only person to put a home in the immediate area of Reedy Falls was Lemuel J. Alston.
The Spring Park Inn house, with its exposed end chimney and full-width front porch, was originally built sometime before 1820 by Aquilla Bradley.
Dana Thorpe has been at the Upcountry History Museum since 2013.
Business grew briskly over the next decades
As competition grew and tastes changed, a 19-year tradition of dining at Seven Oaks ended in early 2002.
Timing and location of the hotel could not have been better. Within a few years, one of America’s largest events, The Textile Exposition, came to town with thousands upon thousands of people visiting and needing a bed.
Early colonists copied the British love and custom for afternoon tea, though all of the leaves were imported.
The city’s first vineyard was started by the Garrauxs, a Swiss immigrant family of 11, who planted about 1 ½ acres of grapes just over a mile from downtown Greenville.
Today Greenvillians are familiar with the Simpsonville area called Five Forks, where Batesville, Scuffletown, South Bennettsville and Five Forks roads all intersect near each other. The name Five Points will be much less familiar to locals, but it was once a primary downtown destination.
The Kilgore-Lewis home is significant for the antebellum period it represents in addition to its own architectural identity.
The Greenville Journal is committed to telling the stories of the people and places that shaped our city. This month we look at the impact of the Mickel and Daniel families.
By John M. Nolan There are many factors that may contribute to a city being considered “modern.” Often when styles of fashion, art and advanced technology embrace present trends, the…