New brunch, amigos
Cantina 76 launches its new brunch menu Sunday, Feb. 17, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., with new specialties like huevos rancheros, steak and eggmigas, and avocado toast. Of course, it would be just breakfast without the boozy bevs. Accompanying the savory bites are honeysuckle or peach mimosas and a classic Bloody Mary. Located on ONE City Plaza, Cantina joins fellow ONE City Plaza restaurants Tupelo Honey and Caviar & Bananas in the Sunday brunch fray. Especially when the weather allows, the plaza is one of the more delightful spots to dine al fresco in the city, and I anticipate brunching here early and often will be a pleasure.
Wine & dine
Foxcroft Wine Co., 631 S. Main St., has upped its wine dinner game. The next one will be held Feb. 20, 7 p.m., featuring Booker Wines and the owner/winemaker Eric Jensen. Cost is $75 plus tax and gratuity per person.
The menu is as follows:
- First course – hamachi crudo with chilis, citrus, greens, and sesame, paired with Booker ‘White’ 2017
- Second course – duck salad with escarole, duck egg, duck confit & radish paired with Booker ‘Vertigo’ 2016
- Third course – pork & mushroom terrine with local greens, paired with Booker ‘Oublié’ 2016
- Fourth course – braised osso buco with creamy polenta and horseradish gremolata, paired with Booker ‘Ripper’ 2016
- Dessert – red hawk cheese with almond salad and spiced apple butter, paired with Booker ‘Fulldraw’ 2016
Additionally, a dinner featuring Torii Mor wines and winemaker Jon Tomaselli will be held on March 12, 7 p.m. The food pairings have just been released:
- First course — butter-poached red royal shrimp, fennel salad with lemon ricotta, paired with Pinot Gris 2017 and Pinot Blanc 2016
- Second course — grilled spring lamb, toasted heritage grains, baby arugula and almonds, paired with Pinot Noir, 2015, Pinot Noir, Reserve “Deux Verres” 2016
- Third course — grilled quail, Carolina Gold rice, parsnip/ apple chutney, bitter greens, natural jus, paired with Pinot Noir, Chehalem Mountains 2016 and Pinot Noir, Dundee Hills 2016
- Fourth course — braised beef cheek, glazed baby root vegetables, sweet potato, paire with Pinot Noir, “Olson Vineyard” 2016
These dinners are selling out quickly, so don’t delay on reserving your seat. Call 864-906-4200.